Saturday, August 14, 2010

Review: Invoke Yoga & Pilates


On Thursday, I took my Mom for her first experience at a Yoga/Pilates studio, Invoke. Located at 970 Fort Wayne Ave. Suite C, Indianapolis, IN, Invoke came highly recommended from several different people, including studio manager, Erin, who I met at an art show near Talbott St. this summer.

I originally scheduled a pilates reformer duet session for my Mom and I. When we got to the studio, we were a little shocked to find out there was no record of the session I scheduled and paid ($35/person) for in the system. Luckily, owner Amy Peddycord was manning the desk and most swiftly came up with a solution.

Amy explained that the teacher we were supposed to have for the session had abruptly quit and cancelled out her appointments without letting anyone know. Without hesitation, Amy suggested we go join a Pilates mat class already in session, so she could have time to work on the problem without wasting our trip to the studio (we live in Greenfield, about a 25 min. drive).

Setting us up in the back of the room, with weights, balls, mats, etc., Amy ushered us in to begin class with Nicole. I must say, I was a little nervous. I was only experienced in Yoga, not Pilates. So my Mom and I were jumping in with both feet very quickly.

The class was wonderful and Nicole was a superb instructor. She was very accomadating to us as new students and gently helped us adjust our poses for the proper alignment. We followed along with everything very easily, but were also challenged by the movements. Nicole was sure to offer variations of each movement for different strength and skill levels. When she saw my Mom struggling with the pressure on her wrists (osteoarthritis), she came over and showed the modification to avoid the stress put on the wrists.

By the time the one hour class ended, we both felt like we had a great workout. Amy was ready for us when we came out and explained that she had put 2 FREE duet sessions in the system for us, along with the free class we just took, to make up for the mistake of our cancelled session. She was more than generous and very apologetic, which we really appreciated.

So, Invoke Yoga & Pilates Studio gets a thumbs up from me! I highly reccomend Invoke for someone looking for a new form of exerice or one looking for a great studio to continue their Yoga and Pilates work.

Invoke also features a great little boutique, featuring Ambre Blends, my perfume of choice for the last 8 months! Amy and I were also discussing adding MadrinDesigns to her selection. I'll be sure to let you know when that happens! Thanks so much to Amy and Nicole!

Visit their website, http://www.invokestudio.com, for more information and a class schedule. Also find Invoke on Facebook!

And don't forget to find more info on Invoke's $8 Community Yoga class!

No comments: